Lecture series to spotlight local history, campus architecture

The architectural history of The University of Alabama, ranging from the steeples of Clark Hall to the antebellum Gorgas House, will be among the topics discussed by Robert Mellown, associate professor of art history emeritus, during his lecture Nov. 7.

Mellown’s lecture will be the first of five lectures in a series spotlighting authors who focus on local history and topics relevant to Tuscaloosa residents.

UA Libraries and the Alabama chapter of Center for the Book, an affiliate of the Library of Congress, have partnered to host the lecture series.

J.D. Wilson, sales and marketing director of the UA Press, has been reaching out to magazines, social media and newspapers from all over the state to promote the series.

“The goal is not specifically to highlight authors from Alabama, though we might focus on things relevant to the people of Tuscaloosa, or the county, or the state,” Wilson said. “The goal of this series is to create opportunities for the University community and the people of Tuscaloosa to interact face to face with authors.”

The series grew from an idea of Curtis Clark’s, executive director of the UA Press, who is basing the University’s program on a similar series he founded while working at the University of South Carolina and collaborating with their division of Center for the Book.

“They worked hand in hand there, and he wanted to do it here,” DonnaAdcock, director of public relations for the Center for the Book, said.

Mellown’s lecture will highlight the history of some of the University’s buildings as presented in the 2013 edition of “The University of Alabama: A Guide to the Campus and Its Architecture,” a book Mellown first published in 1988.

“The little-known stories and surprising facts Robert presents in his book delighted everyone at the Press involved in the editing and production of his book, even long-time residents and Tuscaloosa natives,” Clark said.

The lecture will be held Nov. 7, in 205 Gorgas Library.