UADM hosts fundraising ‘for the kids’

In the fall of 2010, a group of students met in the basement of Nott Hall to piece together the foundation for UADM, a student organization that raises money for Children’s of Alabama Hospital in Birmingham through a 10-hour-long event called Dance Marathon.

“We tried to hash out what Dance Marathon was and who did it, and all I knew was that it supported Children’s Miracle Network, and I was like ‘I’m on board’ from the beginning,” said Rachel Coleman, a senior majoring in public relations and vice president of recruitment for UADM.

In 2012, UADM raised more than $15,000. In 2013, the group raised more than $56,000. Now in its third season, UADM is looking to bolster its numbers and members to raise more money for Children’s Miracle Network, though no specific goal has been set.

From Mario Kart on the Quad to ’80s skate night, UADM hosts recruiting events leading up to Dance Marathon, which is currently scheduled for March 1, 2014, at the Student Recreation Center. At Dance Marathon, students commit to stand for 10 hours while dancing and playing games.

Each hour has a different theme, ranging from Superhero Hour to Harry Potter Hour. At the top of each hour, participants are taught a short line dance. Despite the name, Coleman said Dance Marathon is only 10 percent “scheduled” dancing.

“I think most people are turned off by something like that – you hear Dance Marathon and say, ‘Well, I don’t want to dance the whole time.’ and walk the other way,” she said. “We feel like once we can get people one foot in the door, they’re hooked.”

Coleman also said part of the allure of UADM is being able to see the impact Dance Marathon makes on families with sick children directly. Miracle Kids and their families attend Dance Marathon and have a presence throughout the recruiting process.

“Doing something like UADM, you step outside of that box for a second. You get to do something that’s a blast and that’s so much fun, and you almost forget that you’re raising money for [children]. So at the end of our event when we hold up the total – that’s what gets people,” Coleman said.

The mission statement for UADM is “We dance for those who can’t.” UADM president Katie Klootwyk said college tends to be a self-centered time, and giving back through a philanthropy like UADM is an important opportunity for students.

“These kids in the hospital, they’re 5, 6, 7 years old. They have not had a normal childhood, and so a lot of times they can’t do things like normal kids can. [Dance Marathon] is how we show our support and show we’re here for [them] and we got [their] back,” Klootwyk said.

With more than 33 directors and assistant directors and 100 people on staff, Klootwyk said UADM is also an easy opportunity for students looking to get involved on campus.

“You take 100 people from every corner of this university, and we’re not all the same,” she said. “We’re a diverse group of people who just want to come together for a great cause and help kids that are sick.”

Julie Smith, mother of one of the Miracle Kids who participates at Dance Marathon, said she finds UADM to be a organization very close to her heart.

“Last year was our first year to participate in the UADM, and I was overwhelmed by the work the students put into the marathon and how dedicated they were to raising money for the Children’s Hospital system,” Smith said.

To Coleman, the feelings of the families invited to Dance Marathon from Children’s Hospital are hard to put into words.

“I can’t even express what it probably means to them, just from the families’ perspective – the fact that college kids, who usually have a stigma for being sort of selfish in a sense, the fact that they want to come out there and do something that’s bigger than themselves and raise money for their kid personally, I mean they’re just blown away every single year,” she said.

The University is not the only school that hosts a Dance Marathon. Schools like Penn State have been doing so for over 20 years, whereas Louisiana State University is in its first year. Auburn University also participates in its own Dance Marathon, and president of AUDM, William McCann, said it’s not without a hint of rivalry.

“I’ve always found that anything shared by Auburn University and The University of Alabama is viewed in a different light. There is always some sort of competition,” he said. “[A] formal ‘rivalry’ hasn’t really developed as much as we’d like, but now in the third year, we hope to really utilize the competition aspect to push fundraising totals. Each program’s total goes directly to its kids, so regardless of who raises the most, lives are being changed for the better.”

Senior Tiler Williams, director of family relations, has high hopes for UADM this year and in the future.

“I just want everyone to have a good time and it be successful and make a statement that we’re here, and provide a foundation that will last for years to come,” Williams said. “I want Children’s Hospital to start paying attention to us, to put [their] full support and effort behind it.”

Williams said he feels that people should focus less on being associated with something called “Dance Marathon” and instead focus on the ultimate goal of UADM, which is to aide sick children.

“Break out of your mold and go for it, because it will quickly become one of the most rewarding things you have ever done,” Williams said.