Sororities, don’t be a part of what tears you apart

Why are you a part of The Machine? Ask that to anyone who wants to stay a part of The Machine, and you will get the same robotic answers: “We are not a part of that organization,” “That organization does not exist” or my personal favorite answer, “why does it matter to you?” But ask a girl who doesn’t want to be a part of The Machine or who has not been taught what The Machine is by their sorority sisters yet, and they will tell you something surprising: “I don’t know, they seem pretty useless to me.” Well, let’s weigh the pros and cons.

Pro: You get to be around those whom you know, and who you know is the people you are used to. You won’t get blacklisted from going to parties that are only allowed to happen if you are part of a fraternity and its house. (The University of Alabama Police Department seems to magically overlook giant raves at mansion houses). You get to have amazing swaps and meet wonderful people – or sometimes not – and you get to be seen as welcomed in your own social sphere.

Con: The Machine forces you into a social island. You may have friends in high places, get to go into the “great” parties and hang around the social sphere you have always been used to, however The Machine rarely allows you to go beyond that. Want to go with your Mallet or National Pan-Hellenic Council friend to a date party? Good luck with that. Want to openly talk about social problems you see in the greek system to outsiders? You might find yourself receiving the cold shoulder within your own sorority.

Pro: You or your sorority sisters get easy political power. If you go along, The Machine’s votes could easily get you or your friend a political spot in the SGA senate. 

Cons: The SGA senate is about the only political power you are going to get out of The Machine now. While they may still be holding on to the last bits of power they have in the SGA senate, your independent friends are well on their way to becoming the next governor, U.S. senator or even ambassador. You also have zero room to vote or act against the political interest of The Machine and can be harshly punished for doing so. Any question of being independent from The Machine is quickly silenced, unless a sorority or fraternity leaves, united in wanting to be independent.

Pro: It is an honored tradition that has been kept since the creation of your sorority on campus.

Con: It is only a tradition because a racist and sexist underground organization wanted to have a larger voting bloc in order to maintain better control over the SGA, county and state in the face of a rising movement of independents. In short, the honored tradition you value is nothing more than being pawns in The Machine’s game.

It baffles me then, that any sorority, who attempts to uphold the tenets of philanthropy, civil service and respect for all, would be a part of an organization that simply tears both their tenets and their members apart. I hope every sorority reflects on these pros and cons and look to their Machine representatives and ask the same question: Why are we a part of The Machine? If they don’t answer to your liking, maybe it is time to leave it.

Chad Hankins is a sophomore majoring in political science.