​Men's tennis win Blue Gray National Tennis Classic

The Alabama Crimson Tide came away with a 4-1 win over Princeton in second round play, and then captured the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic Saturday afternoon with a doubles-only victory over Oklahoma State, avenging a first round loss to the Cowboys.

In the Princeton match, Alabama got off to a strong start by taking the doubles point. Sophomore Korey Lovett and freshman Mazen Osama lost at the top spot 6-2, but senior Becker O’Shaughnessey and sophomore Grayson Goldin tied it up with a 6-4 win. The point came down to the final match, where sophomore Matthew Rossouw and freshman Spencer Richey triumphed 6-2 to take the lead 1-0.

Princeton tied up the match with a 6-0, 6-1 singles win over junior Nikko Madregallejo. Alabama quickly regained the lead with O’Shaughnessey’s 6-2, 6-3 win. The Crimson Tide earned their third point with a 6-1, 6-4 win for Lovett, and won the match with Osama’s 7-5, 7-5 victory.

The win moved the Crimson Tide into the final match of the tournament, where they faced Oklahoma State, who had handed Alabama a 4-1 loss in the first round that was much closer than the score indicated. The championship round was just a doubles point, an area in which the Crimson Tide has excelled all year.

Alabama earned the point and the win in a tightly contested match. Alabama earned the win and the number one spot, with Lovett and Osama winning 8-6. Oklahoma State claimed the second court, besting Goldin and O’Shaughnessey 8-5. Court three and the match went in the Crimson Tide’s favor, with Richey and Rossouw delivering an 8-5 win at the third spot.

Alabama is now 8-5 on the season. The team will be back in action on Monday in Columbia, South Carolina to take on the South Carolina Gamecocks at 4 p.m. CT.