SGA begins process to find new vice president of External Affairs

After the pool of applicants is 
narrowed down, candidates will meet with the seven other members of the SGA Executive Council. However, it is the SGA Senate that makes the the final decision on the eventual 
nominee. It takes a simple majority vote to accept or reject the candidate.

The VP of External Affairs serves as the liaison between the SGA and the student body, as well as working with various parties throughout the state. The position has the power to create related committees and works closely with representatives from other student governments across the country. 

The short online application focuses on students’ campus involvement and personal experience with SGA. There are no guidelines as to what the executive council could ask possible nominees. 

Joshua Shumate, director of Political Advocacy at the United Alabama Project, said the chances of the senate rejecting the council’s nominee are slim. 

He said the senate has been put in a difficult position to reject a candidate after a controversial judicial board ruling on the issue.

“I believe the constitution gives the senate the authority to reject a nominee,” Shumate said. “However, the language from the judicial board’s ruling creates confusion over how much power the senate actually has.”

Braden Morell, who was elected as deputy vice president of External Affairs, is currently serving the position of vice president until the vacancy is filled. The Crimson White reached out to SGA Communications director, Grayson Everett, for comment, but did not hear back before press time.