Thefts common as fall semester begins

The University of Alabama’s fall semester is now in full swing, and so, too are the crimes reported to the University’s Police Department. There have been several thefts of property on campus since the fall semester began, according to UAPD reports.

There have been three reported thefts of property in the third and fourth degrees in the past week in the following areas: 100 Block of Old Hackberry Lane, 400 Block of McCorvey Drive and 700 Block of Campus Drive. Among the theft of property reports, cash, a cell phone, a credit card, an action card and two T-shirts have all been stolen. In addition to theft of property, there have also been reports of criminal trespass in the second and third degree at 900 Block of University Boulevard.

According to UAPD’s advisory email sent to all students, there was a reported robbery on Wednesday, Aug. 27 at approxiamately 2 a.m. The reported robbery occurred in the 1100 Block of University Boulevard. In the report, the victim noted that five to six African-American males approached him, one of which took a piece of property from the victim. One of the suspects at the crime had a weapon in his waistband. Ultimately, the victim was able to escape unharmed.

In order to try to prevent crimes from happening, UAPD advises students and community members to, “be mindful of any valuables you may carry, be mindful of your surroundings, and if confronted, give the criminal what they ask for.”

According to UAPD’s website, its goal is “to provide a safe and secure environment for all members of our community.” To view UAPD’s Campus Security Report, Safer Living Guide and Emergency Preparedness documents, visit police.ua.edu. To report a crime or a suspicious incident, UAPD is available at 205-348-5454 all hours of the day, every day of the week.