Pioneers of integration to speak at Ferg

Autherine Lucy Foster, James Hood and Vivian Malone Jones took steps toward desegregation in 1956 and 1963 by being the first black students to enroll at the University.

Foster, Hood and a family member of the late Jones will participate in a panel discussion as a part of the dedication of the Foster Auditorium Clock Tower, according to an emailed statement by Nicole Bohannon, executive vice president of the Student Government Association.

“It is absolutely a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be able to hear from a panel of people who made such an impact on our campus in such a big way,” Bohannon said. “We owe so much to the courage of these former students, and I hope as many students as possible will take advantage of their visit.”

Foster was the first black student to attend the University, enrolling in the graduate program in library science for three days. Unruly mobs and threats against of her life led the board of trustees to expel Foster for safety reasons.

Malone and Hood successfully enrolled at the University in June of 1963 after several years of legal maneuvering by the NAACP. George Wallace attempted to block the students’ admittance with his infamous “stand in the schoolhouse door,” which was covered by media worldwide. Wallace eventually stepped aside and Malone became the first black student to graduate from the University.

The discussion will be held Wednesday, Nov. 3 at 9 a.m. in the Ferguson Center Ballroom. Breakfast will be served by the Ferguson Center after the discussion, Bohannon said.

Panelists will answer questions regarding the integration of the University of Alabama. Dr. E. Culpepper Clark, former dean of the College of Communication and Informational Sciences at the University and author of the book “The Schoolhouse Door: Segregation’s Last Stand at The University of Alabama,” will be moderating the event.

Any questions related to the topic are welcome, said Bohannon.

“I’ve heard from many students a desire to just hear about what life on UA’s campus was like when the University was experiencing desegregation,” she added.

Students, faculty and staff are invited to attend the event. Tickets are free but required for entry. Tickets are available through www.crimsonartstickets.com, according to Bohannon.

“I hope that students learn from this event that their actions and their voices matter, and if they don’t use them to prevent the wrongs from the past from reoccurring, we will be doomed to relive them,” SGA Senator Ryan Flamerich said.

The Malone Hood Plaza at the Historic Foster Auditorium will feature the Autherine Lucy Foster Clock Tower as a memorial for the three courageous students, according to the University’s website.

“George Wallace’s stand at Foster Auditorium was a pivotal moment in the Civil Rights movement; it was essentially the last stand of racism and hatred as a social norm,” Flamerich said.

Today the University’s campus is much different but still has social issues to talk about, he added.

The dedication of the Autherine Lucy Foster Clock Tower will take place outside the Foster Auditorium at 1 p.m. on Nov. 3. This event is also open to students, Bohannon said.

If You Go

What: Panel featuring Autherine Lucy, James Hood, and family members of Vivian Malone Jones

Where: Ferguson Center Ballroom

When: Nov. 3 at 9 a.m.

Cost: Free, but tickets must be reserved at www.crimsonartstickets.com