Here's what's showing at this weekend's Black Warrior Film Festival

This weekend marks the sixth annual Black Warrior Film Festival, which will be held in various locations on the University of Alabama campus. The festival will screen several student films from around the country along with hosting panels with film industry professionals. Of the 27 films accepted into the festival, 14 of them were produced by UA students or alumni. We’ve made a comprehensive list of these films along with what time they will be screened on Saturday at the Ferguson Center Theater, and which ones are in contention for the coveted Holle Award.

The screenings on Saturday will be separated into six blocks, the first of which begins at 11 a.m. at the Ferguson Center.

“Astray”

“Astray” is a short film directed by, Austin Taylor, a junior majoring in telecommunication and film. The film follows a man with an unruly code who meets a hitchhiker with a price on his head – or so he thinks. “Astray” will be the second film screened during the festival’s first screening block.

“Body of Motion”

“Body of Motion” is a short dance film co-directed by UA students, Wilson Weirich and Alison Shuman. The film focuses on the interesting intricacies of the human body and how those minute details allow movement to be produced. While dance is often observed from afar, “Body of Motion” takes viewers up close and personal with the movement of the dancers. It will be the third film screened during the festival’s first screening block.

“Foot of the Woods 2 – Bigfoot vs. Werewolf”

“Foot of the Woods 2 – Bigfoot vs. Werewolf” is directed by Jacob Armstrong, a freshman majoring in telecommunication and film. The film is about three friends who must avenge their fallen brother. They investigate his crime scene and come to find out that Bigfoot killed him. This begins their quest of horror as a werewolf and cannibal join the fight. Armstrong’s film will be the fourth film screened during the first screening block.

“Guilt”

“Guilt” is a suspense short directed by Blake Hudson, a sophomore majoring in telecommunication and film. It tells the story of a man whose wife was killed in a home invasion. His mysterious involvement with her death slowly seeps through as his guilt begins to overtake him. “Guilt” will be the sixth film and final film screened during the festival’s first screening block.

The second screening block begins at noon and also takes place at the Ferguson Center Theater.

“Adaptation: Reddit Horror Series”

“Adapation: Reddit Horror Series” is a short series created by telecommunication and film major, Osagie Jesuorobo, based on the concept of bringing internet comments to life. Jesuorobo based the short on sentences from a Reddit prompt asking users to describe the scariest story they could in two sentences. “Adaptation: Reddit Horror Series” will be the second film screened during the festival’s second screening block.

“Léa”

“Léa” is a short film directed by UA alumnus, Connor Simpson. The film follows a struggling New York actress as she prepares for a career-making audition. As she prepares for the role, her inability to connect with the script gives a glimpse into her isolated life. “Léa” is a film about identity and misunderstanding, exploring the blurred line between lying and acting. It will be the third film screened during the festival’s second screening block. It will also be screened during the 6 p.m. screening block, as it is in contention for the Holle Award.

“Syrian in Turkey”

“Syrian in Turkey” is documentary short which tells the story of a Syrian refugee in Istanbul, Turkey. It features the original audio of interview, with anonymity maintained at participant’s request. It was directed by Ilham Ali, a sophomore majoring in architectural engineering. “Syrian in Turkey” will be the fourth film screened during the festival’s second screening block.

The third screening block features two UA produced Holle award contenders and begins at 2 p.m. at the Ferguson Center Theater.

“Blackface”

“Blackface” is a short directed by UA alumnus Shanrica Evans. The film is a period piece set in 1934 that explores the racial violence of a small southern town through the eyes of minstrel actor Henry Roberts. After witnessing an act of gruesome racial brutality, Henry is unable to perform in his first big show and leaves wearing his blackface makeup which causes him to be targeted by local law enforcement. “Blackface” will be the second film screened during the festival’s second screening block which starts at 2 p.m. It will also be screened during the 6 p.m. screening block, as it is in contention for the Holle Award.

“Skygate”

“Skygate” is an animated short by James Hodge, a senior majoring in computer science. The film is a 3D animation with a low-poly art style about trying to fall asleep. It will be the third film screened during the festival’s third screening block.

“Remain Calm”

“Remain Calm” is a project by Alexandra Manning, a junior majoring in dance and physics. It is, at its core, about connection or a lack thereof. The short follows a dancer as she tries to find her place and her relationships in a sea of people while also being faced with the pain of rejection and the absence of permanent connections. It will be the fourth film screened during the festival’s third screening block.

“Since Feeling is First”

Inspired partly by the renowned E.E. Cummings poem of the same name, “Since Feeling is First” is a film about love, perception and emotion. Produced last fall by a team of telecommunication and film students, led by director Abigail Armstrong, this short film challenges the idea of the perfect companion and what makes a relationship truly meaningful. It is the story of a man seeking solace after a messy divorce which he attempts to find in the form of an android woman who is engineered to perfectly fit his needs. It will be the fifth film screened during the festival’s third screening block. It will also be screened during the 6 p.m. screening block, as it is in contention for the Holle Award.

The fifth screening block takes place at 5 p.m. at the Ferguson Center Theater and closes out the screenings before the 6 p.m. screening block which is wholly comprised by Holle Award contenders.

“This is About Us”

“This Is About Us” is a dance video that comes from the vision and experiences of choreographer Victoria Niblett. Directed by Corey Carpenter, a junior majoring in telecommunication and film, this film tells the always beautiful, yet trying course of a young couple’s romantic relationship through subtle movements and organic surroundings. Paired with the music of Ian McDaniel, the piece comes together to reach a final destination of surreal comfort. It will be the third film screened during the festival’s fifth screening block.

“A Rockumentary”

“A Rockumentary” is a short by Margie Powers, a junior majoring in fine arts. The film documents the daily life of the average American rock and the struggles it encounters in its daily life. The short deals with creative stagnation of artists from a wholly new perspective. “A Rockumentary” will be the fourth film screened during the festival’s fifth screening block.

“The Forest”

“The Forest” is a short film directed by Morgan Wilson, a junior majoring in telecommunication and film. The film follows David who ends his life only to be transported to a mysterious pine forest. While exploring the forest he encounters strange beings, relives memories of the past and is visited by his dead brother. Wilson’s film will be the fifth film screened during the festival’s fifth screening block.

The Black Warrior Film Festival kicks off Friday afternoon with a Q&A session with “Swiss Army Man” co-director, Daniel Schienert and culminates Saturday night with an awards ceremony and reception. A more detailed schedule with specific times and locations can be found at www.blackwarriorfilmfestival.com