ABXY hosts game marathon for charity

Giving to charity is a rewarding process. After all, most people can agree that knowing your dollar is changing lives is a good feeling. But giving that dollar isn’t always fun. In fact, sometimes it only involves putting a combination of Washingtons and Lincolns into a basket and passing the basket to the left. While this is rewarding, it is also dull. Is it possible for the process to be both rewarding and exciting?

The ABXY Gaming Network believes it can be. Tonight at 6, ABXY will kick off Pixelthon, a charity gaming marathon intent on raising money for the charity Child’s Play. The marathon is sponsored by the University’s Creative Campus Initiative and will last until 6 p.m. on Sunday.

“Basically, it’s a fun way to raise money,” said Michael Mintz, a sophomore majoring in psychology and Pixelthon coordinator. “It’s benefitting the children’s hospital in Birmingham.”

The 48-hour event will be broadcast on Ustream for everyone to watch free of charge. Two teams, Team Mario and Team Sonic, will be competing against one another to complete a certain video game first. Completing a game may seem like a daunting task to some, but Mintz believes it’s very doable.

“The people playing have been practicing these games for months,” said Mintz, a member of Team Sonic. “We’ll be able to finish in decent times.”

If the viewing patrons feel the game is taking too long, they can request the gamers to quit and move on to another. Viewers can request other actions as well, making this a truly engaging viewing experience.

“As people donate, they can make requests,” said David Kilborn, a senior majoring in communication studies and a member of Team Mario. “These requests can hinder one team or help the other. Donators are directly shaping the direction of the marathon.”

In order to have an influence in game play, viewers must donate. To donate, viewers on Ustream can click a link to the donation widget. At the widget, participants can use PayPal to make a donation. Upon donating, they can use the comment box to indicate how they want to affect play, where they have many options.

“You can put anything in that comment box,” Mintz said. “You can buy penalties with donations. For instance, if you’re really gunning for Team Mario, you can decide to make Team Sonic play with blindfolds or Chinese finger traps. We try to make creative penalties that are worth people’s time.”

The two teams each have eight people — mostly members of ABXY — who will rotate playing responsibility during the 48-hour span. Those not playing will be charged with communicating with the viewers, commentating on game play, and, of course, ordering pizzas.

A charity video game marathon might be a bizarre idea to some, but it has precedent.

“A lot of different organizations do this,” Kilborn said. “The Mario marathon took place over the summer — they raised almost $90,000. A few weeks ago, IGN did the ‘Extra Life’ marathon, focusing on games that have not yet been released.”

Child’s Play raises money to put video games in hospitals. Funds from Pixelthon will specifically go to the Children’s Hospital of Alabama in Birmingham. In the spirit of helping children, Pixelthon gamers will focus on video games from their own childhood.

“It’s nostalgic,” Kilborn said. “These games entertained us back in the day, and it’s a worthy cause to bring new entertainment to kids who are stuck in a scary place. They have few comforts.”

ABXY is aiming to raise $1,000 for the hospital. Given the precedent, this goal is certainly within their reach.

ONLINE STREAM: ustream.tv/channel/pixelthon

DONATE: pixelthon.chipin.com/childs-play