Campus carry brings potential dangers

Campus carry brings potential dangers

The University of Alabama, like most public colleges and universities in the United States, does not allow concealed carry of firearms or dangerous weapons, with the exception of University Police or other security certified by the University. This is for good reason, as college campuses in particular are unsuited to firearms. According to a 2014 study in the Journal of American College Health, the vast majority of college and university presidents do not want concealed weapons on campus. College students are more likely to binge-drink than the average person, are in classrooms that can grow contentious and foster personal disputes and are often living alone for the first time and dealing with more stress than they ever have before. Adding potentially fatal weapons into the mix is a recipe for disaster.

The argument that carrying a gun on campus is for the protection of one’s self and one’s fellow students has a key flaw. Passing an inadequate background check and some rudimentary training classes does not qualify one to wield deadly force. Regardless of intent, in a situation as horrifying and chaotic as an armed attack, I cannot trust anyone, even those with good intentions, to wield and fire a deadly weapon unless they’ve undergone extensive training. Until one is in such a perilous situation, it is difficult to predict one’s actions. This is why police officers undergo extensive training in the use of firearms under pressure, and for more serious situations SWAT teams with even more training and experience are called in. To think that an untrained student with a pistol will do more good than harm is not only wrong but dangerous.

A different argument against concealed carry on campus is one that does not even take into account the threat of mass shootings. Increasing the number of guns on campus through a University-recognized policy of concealed carry would increase the number of violent incidents, including deadly ones. Crime is a terrible occurrence, but the vast majority of crimes would only be escalated by the presence of a firearm. A theft, while scary and unacceptable, is not a life-threatening situation. Add a firearm, and lives are at risk. Carrying a concealed handgun increases the odds for an incident to turn violent and then lethal.

The University’s current policy is already permissive enough and does not need an update. Students who, for whatever reason, want their firearm off campus can still carry off campus, as long as they follow the laws and regulations of the state of Alabama. It is presently possible for a UA student to get their gun from UAPD lockup 24/7, for whatever reason. I see no reason why this is an unacceptable policy. For students who feel unsafe off campus without their guns, UAPD’s 24-hour availability means that they can drop off and pick up their guns whenever they arrive on or leave campus, regardless of time of day. There is no need to expand these policies to explicitly allow students to bring a gun into a classroom.

Scarier than the idea of “campus carry” (complete with its own alliterative name) is the type of worldview that it endorses. Advocates for campus carry see a world with threats from all sides, where it is impossible to be safe or comfortable without the ability to kill those around them. The University of Alabama aims to provide a “campus life that embodies collaboration, collegiality, respect and a culture of inclusivity.” A campus that allows the secretive carry of deadly weapons by those with no formal training is not one in which I would feel safe.

Danny Pelavin is senior majoring in political science and history. His column runs biweekly.