Crimson Tide cruise to victory over South Alabama

Photo by Hannah Saad

Johnathan Anderson, Staff Writer

Alabama took home another convincing win when it defeated South Alabama 5-1 on Thursday night at the Alabama Soccer Complex. The Crimson Tide’s offensive play was a direct contrast to the weather on the night, crisp and cool. Alabama dominated the proceedings, creating chances at will. Freshman Kat Rogers notched two goals for the second time this season, continuing her excellent run of form.

Alabama was in control of this game from the beginning. The Crimson Tide maintained possession of the ball deep within the South Alabama half, making it increasingly difficult for the Jaguars to find a way out, carving space and peppering the goal early and often.

The constant pressure and pinpoint passing paid dividends for the Crimson Tide in the 19th minute when Taylor Morgan unleashed a thunderous shot from outside of the box. Morgan’s shot walloped the crossbar and fell to the feet of Casey Wertz, who slapped the ball home to give Alabama the advantage.

A little under five minutes later, Emma Welch doubled the Crimson Tide’s lead. The senior midfielder found a bit of space in the middle of South Alabama’s box and slotted one home from eight yards out. The goal was Welch’s first of the year.

Despite a rather dominant performance from the Crimson Tide through most of the first half, the Jaguars did find a way to nick a goal back in the 32nd minute, when Brianna Mascia finished off a slick counterattack that caught the Crimson Tide back line out of sorts.

The Crimson Tide regained its composure in the back and reached halftime with the 2-1 advantage.

“[Hart] tells us never to slow up, no matter how many goals we score,” Taylor Hubbard said.

Coming out of the half, Alabama reasserted itself in control of the contest, knocking the ball around with complete confidence throughout the midfield and into the final third.

Rogers added her daily double to the match with goals in the 65th and 76th minutes. The latter of which came when she latched on to the end of a Riley Mattingly cross from the right. Rogers rifled the shot home for the fourth of the match.

The game’s scoring ended when Kayla Mouton’s cross found its way into the back of the net from a deflection off of a South Alabama defender.

Alabama outshot the Jaguars 29-9 in the match, putting 15 on goal, while limiting South Alabama to just three shots on target.  Sophomore goalkeeper Alex Plavin recorded two saves in what was a relatively peaceful night in goal.

“There’s just so many weapons,” Hart said. “We’re not a predictable attack.”

The 5-1 victory makes it four wins on the trot for Wes Hart’s team. The Crimson Tide has been incredibly efficient over the stretch, netting 17 goals while conceding only twice.

“I think we’re really clicking as a team off the field and that’s showing on the field,” Rogers said. “Our defense is playing rock solid right now, Alex Plavin is making some hell of a saves and our back line is super strong,” Rogers said.

In a team that is beginning to rack up positive results like Alabama, complacency can begin to set in. Hubbard said that Alabama’s key to maintaining its willingness to keep pushing for more stems from the head coach and is reciprocated amongst the players.

“We have certain standards and certain goals that we’re trying to hit each game,” Hart said. “The score is irrelevant. We want to keep attacking, keep going. We’ve done a great job these past four games in not being content and sitting on a lead. We want to still be hungry.”

Alabama takes the field again on Sunday at 1 p.m., where the Crimson Tide will look to finish the weekend undefeated as it plays host to Troy.