Opposing views: We should keep ‘Dixieland Delight’

Dominick Calcara, Staff Columnist

After four long years, “Dixieland Delight” is back. The homecoming game against Missouri was by far the loudest, craziest and most fun game I’ve been to during my time at the University. It is undoubtedly the student body’s favorite football tradition, other than winning championships almost every year, and we are so happy it’s home. But, we could be happier.

Watch any video on Twitter of the student section during the chorus, and it’s very obvious where the University decided to step in to protect some fans from our vocals. The PA system blasted an artificial “Beat Auburn” loudly to drown out what all the students wanted to say. Not only did they do that, but at the part when the students commonly yell, “against the wall,” the PA blasted, although much more quietly and less effectively, “Roll Tide.” This could be the downfall of “Dixieland Delight.”

After the first time the PA blasted “Beat Auburn,” many students decided to step up their efforts. After every line in the next verse, there was an increasingly louder chant that linked our in-state rivals with a word the University does not like us to say. There is little doubt the students did this in retaliation against the University censoring them in the chorus. Why was “Dixieland” banned in the first place? Many found that the last time it was played during the Iron Bowl, every line was followed with a resounding, “f— Auburn.” Many say that speaking like this is rude, vulgar and should not be present at the games since there are children in attendance. If Alabama was to be completely moral “for the kids,” then we would have to change even more of the song’s chants. No more “on beer,” since kids can’t drink beer. No more “against the wall,” for obvious reasons, as well as “all night.” In fact, if this was the case, “Dixieland” itself would be bad for children, since the song says, “homegrown country girl gonna give me a whirl,” and “make a little lovin’, a little turtle dovin’ on a Mason-Dixon night.” Both of those official lyrics allude to sex, which kids shouldn’t be having.

“Dixieland Delight” made Saturday night a fantastic atmosphere. We were on pace to win big by halftime again. If “Dixieland” hadn’t been promised to us, many students would have left the game early, as we usually do. But as the fourth quarter approached, the student section and box seating areas were overflowing with eager fans ready to cheer. Simply knowing we had “Dixieland” to look forward to made us louder and more willing to participate.

Since the students will continue to curse and say things some people will not like, there are two options: either take it away for good and please the people that don’t even go to the University, or please the students, the lifeblood of our campus. If Nick Saban and Greg Byrne want to continue to see sold-out crowds staying and cheering until the fourth quarter, they should obviously side with the students in this argument, or else we will just start leaving after going up by 40 in the first half again. “Dixieland” makes the atmosphere at games more fun, and we will show the University unconditional support if it gets fully freed.