Women’s basketball competes in second exhibition

RJ Nealon, Staff Writer

The Alabama women’s basketball team played its second and final exhibition game of the preseason against Mississippi College. The game was Alabama and Mississippi College’s first time playing each other in 31 years, and the first ever exhibition game between the two.

“That was a really good experience for us tonight,” head coach Kristy Curry said. “I thought that Ariyah (Copeland) really came in and did some great things for us. She just continues to get better every day. De’Sha (Benjamin) is continuing to grow too. I really accredit these two (Copeland and Benjamin) who I thought played really hard and really well for us and came in to give us a spark off the bench.”

Alabama was led by freshman De’Sha Benjamin scoring 15 points going 6-of-8 shooting. Followed by her was sophomore Ariyah Copeland being one point shy of a double-double finishing with nine points and 14 rebounds. Junior Jordan Lewis had 13 points.

It was a back and forth game to start with Alabama leading 17-15 going into the second quarter and being ahead 38-32 at halftime. During the second half, the Crimson Tide began to pull away adding points on the board winning 82-53. Alabama is now 7-0 under Curry as the head coach in exhibition games.

The Crimson Tide shot 48 percent going 31-of-65 from the field while Mississippi College shot just 29 percent going 20-of-68 shooting. Alabama outrebounded the Lady Choctaws 52-37 and blocking 14 shots, seven of which came from junior Ashley Knight.

Alabama begins regular season play next Wednesday, Nov. 7, when the Crimson Tide plays Southeastern Louisiana. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. inside Coleman Coliseum.