Student organization releases member for tattoo

One week after joining Capstone Men and Women, former UA student McKaye Whiteside said she found herself being targeted by the group’s administrative advisors because of a tattoo located on her foot.

“My tattoo was first seen after I was accepted into Capstone Men & Women,” Whiteside said. “Us girls were getting fitted for our suits and the administrative adviser saw my tattoo. At the time she said nothing. I received a phone call the next day asking for a meeting with me.  When I arrived in her office she asked me a little bit about the tattoo. She asked me what it meant and why I got it. She then asked me to sign a contract saying that if it was seen during a Capstone Men & Women event I would be immediately released. So, it had to be covered at all times.”

Whiteside said she got the tattoo, a Tibetan script that means “love and compassion for all living things,” in memory of her deceased grandmother.

She said she offered multiple ways of covering the tattoo up to Becky Fowler, the group’s adviser, such as tights, Band-Aids or makeup, but Fowler said she thought the only alternative that was acceptable was to put makeup over the tattoo.

“She told me I had hidden the tattoo from them on purpose during the interview process, and I was being evasive in order to get in,” Whiteside said. “The interviews are during the winter months, so I wore pants one time. The other time, I wore a dress and my shoes actually revealed parts of my tattoo. If I thought that I would be asked to resign because of this, I never would have applied in the first place.”

Whiteside said she asked the adviser if she could call her mother and come back the next day to sign the contract, but was told that if she left without signing the contract, she would be removed from the group.

“I started to get upset and cry, but she did not change her mind,” Whiteside said. “I signed the contract.”

“Once membership is obtained in the group, all members must comply with Capstone Men and Women Guidelines,” said Cathy Andreen, UA’s Director of Media Relations.

Whiteside said she first heard about the group through her sorority and, upon doing research and talking to other students on campus, decided it was an organization she would like to join.

“The interview process was a little intimidating but the farther along I got, the more excited I was to join such a prestigious group,” she said. “I knew about all the connections and resources this opportunity would provide.”

According to the group’s website, Capstone Men and Women function as the official ambassadors for the University.

“In that capacity, we give campus tours to prospective students and assist the University president, administration, and trustees with numerous events throughout the year,” the website said.

Whiteside said she thought the issue was over once she signed the contract, so she proceeded with her Capstone requirements, including shadowing student tours of the campus.

According to Whiteside, she shadowed two tours and her tattoo was never visible. She said that because she had to buy items for the organization, she wanted to first e-mail Fowler to make sure that everything was all right.

“The next day, the morning that I went to shadow my third tour, I received a phone call from Becky stating that the group had collectively decided that I was not an accurate representation of the organization as a whole,” Whiteside said. “I was asked to resign because I was told the entire group was unhappy with me. I resigned. After I resigned, I talked to a few members of the group. None of them had been told why I was asked to resign. In fact, they all thought it was completely my decision. I e-mailed the administrative adviser and asked for written verification of why I was released from the group.”

Whiteside said a letter was sent to her mother, but it did not give a clear indication as to why she was dismissed. She said she immediately e-mailed the group’s advisor, who referred her to Pam Parker, the vice president of University advancement.

After getting in touch with the Parker, Whiteside said she was more upset about the situation and felt it necessary to contact the dean of students.

“He was very surprised to hear about what was going on, but nothing was done to rectify the situation,” Whiteside said.

Rather than going back to Parker and Fowler, Whiteside said she asked her mother to call for her.

“I was not comfortable going into the office to discuss the situation in person,” Whiteside said. “I felt attacked the last time I had a conversation, so much so that it brought me to tears. I was not going to put myself in the same situation so I asked my mother to call or e-mail and talk to Parker.”

Whiteside said her mother exchanged e-mails with Parker, but could never reach Fowler, who, according to Whiteside, never returned her phone calls.

In response to the claims, Andreen said [Whiteside] was given every opportunity to stay in the group, but was not willing to comply with the guidelines.

Not long after her incident with Capstone Men and Women, Whiteside left the University and returned to her home in Wisconsin.

“Many different factors affected my leaving the University of Alabama,” Whiteside said. “However, Capstone Men & Women just really showed me that I would never be truly accepted or feel completely comfortable at UA.  There are many great things about the University but diversity and acceptance are not qualities that are valued, in my opinion.  Uniformity and conformity are much more common.”

As for her feelings about the group, Whiteside said she had mixed emotions.

“The students involved are all wonderful people and treated me very well,” she said. “They were friendly and accepting. In my opinion, the administration involved with the group is unprofessional. They made me feel attacked, vulnerable, uncomfortable and insecure.

“I was the recipient of a Presidential Scholarship, had a 4.2 GPA, was involved in other activities and made it through the interview process. I was more than qualified to be involved in this group. The reason I was released was superficial and judgmental. It was completely unfair and everyone I talked to agreed, students and adults alike.”