Women’s basketball drops seconds SEC game season

By Evan Pilat

RJ Nealon, Staff Writer

Alabama’s women’s basketball fell to Auburn 66-56 extending its losing streak to two. The loss puts Alabama at 9-7 on the season while Auburn improved to 14-2.

“We can’t turn it over 25 times and give up 28 points off those turnovers,” head coach Kristy Curry said. “I thought there were a couple interesting categories, we outrebounded them by six, and we got three more shots. A lot of things we missed, we missed twelve layups for the game. Those things coupled with not defending and the turnovers we just can’t do that, so the margin of error against their experience is really small and you just have to credit them. I thought Janiah McKay and Daisa Alexander with their experience and season, made big plays for them all night long.”

Junior Daisa Alexander finished with 22 points, three rebounds, and three assists. Senior Janiah McKay scored five points for the Tigers.

The Crimson Tide was led by sophomore Jasmine Walker’s 18 points, five rebounds, and three assists. Senior Shaquera Wade scored 13 points, and sophomore Ariyah Copeland added 12 points and eight rebounds.

The Crimson Tide made eight three-pointers along with grabbing 13 offensive rebounds. Alabama assisted on 14 of its 22 made baskets. The Crimson Tide had more turnovers (25) than shots made (22).

Alabama shot 22-of-55 and 40 percent from the field while Auburn shot 29-of-52 for 55 percent. The Crimson Tide outrebounded the Tigers 33-27 and forced 17 turnovers. Alabama went just 4-of-7 from the free throw line (57 percent) for the game. The seven shots were a season low.

Alabama will be back in action Sunday, Jan. 13, when it takes on Texas A&M in College Station, Texas. Tipoff is slated for 1 p.m.