Alabama women’s basketball falls to Arkansas

By Evan Pilat

RJ Nealon, Staff Writer

Alabama women’s basketball fell to Arkansas 72-61 Thursday night. Alabama is now 10-10 (2-5 SEC), while Arkansas improved to 15-5 (4-2 SEC).

“I thought that we rebounded the ball really well, especially on the road,” said head coach Kristy Curry in a press release. “We outrebounded them and did exactly what we need to do on the boards. We emphasized not letting (Alexis) Tolefree get open looks, and I thought to start the game we gave her three open looks from beyond the arc. We didn’t press up a couple of times and didn’t help on a couple of switches, but we just couldn’t get going offensively.”

Junior Alexis Tolefree had 13 points, going 4-of-7 from behind the arc for the Razorbacks.

For the first time since 2013, two members of the Crimson Tide recorded double-doubles in the same game. Sophomore Jasmine Walker had 18 points and 12 rebounds making it her fourth double-double of the season and sophomore Ariyah Copeland had 11 points, and 10 rebounds to get her third double-double of the season. Junior Cierra Johnson had 14 points and six assists. Freshman De’Sha Benjamin had 13 points.

The Crimson Tide never had the advantage in the game, trailing 19-13 after 10 minutes of play. Alabama played much better in the second quarter, only trailing 33-29 at halftime.

In the final quarter, Benjamin scored five-straight points to cut the Razorbacks lead to two with nine minutes remaining. Arkansas answered with a 5-0 run to have a seven-point lead. Every time the Crimson Tide came within single digits, the Razorbacks found a way to extend its lead, eventually leading by 17 with a couple of minutes remaining.

Alabama went 22-of-61 for 36 percent shooting in the game, while Arkansas went 27-of-62 percent from the field. The Crimson Tide outrebounded the Razorbacks 40-36 and forced 11 turnovers along with 16 of its own. Alabama went 7-of-11 for 63 percent from the foul line.

Alabama returns to action on Sunday, Jan. 27 to take on the Georgia Bulldogs in Athens, Georgia. Tipoff is slated for 1 p.m.