Student panel to discuss campus racial issues

The Bryce Lawn Hall Council, the University’s chapter of the NAACP and Crossroads Community Center will be hosting “Elephant in the Room,” a forum where a student body panel will discuss racial inequalities and how they affect the University’s campus tonight from 6:30-9 p.m. in room 360 of the Ferguson Center.

Ross Bryan, a professor at the University will serve as the guest speaker. Justin Zimmerman, a graduate student who was the target of a racial slur Feb. 4, will also be on the panel to discuss the incident at the Delta Tau Delta house.

Desirae Lewis, Bryce Lawn Hall Council President, said the event was planned in honor of Black History Month, but the incident involving Zimmerman made it more relevant.

“We’re doing this event to bring up the issues we face and different inequalities,” Desirae Lewis said. “We have people from different parts of campus.”

Latasha Lewis, vice president of the Residence Hall Association, said the importance of the forum is to give everyone a chance to talk about what’s going on at the University.

“We have this event so that people can tell stories that other people can relate to,” Latasha Lewis said. “This is an opportunity for students to speak up. I hope people can see the views of others and understand what people from their own groups face.”

Latasha Lewis said the forum will not only address racial inequality, but it will also address issues surrounding gender, greek and non-greek relations and nationality inequalities.

“We talked to some Chinese students and they talked about how they can’t get the same transportation as we do; they don’t have any cars,” Latasha Lewis said.

Both Latasha Lewis and Desirae Lewis said the forum is important for people to be able to talk about issues that have been swept under the table.

“We want to bring as much equality as possible,” Latasha Lewis said. “People have tried it before, but have not gotten far, and with the current situation, we need to raise awareness.”

Desirae Lewis said change starts with the student body.

“Together we can make a change,” she said.