Softball wins Friday double header

By Hannah Saad

James Benedetto, Staff Writer

No. 6 Alabama remain undefeated as the Crimson Tide picked up wins over Missouri State and No. 24 Minnesota on Friday.

In game one against Missouri State, Alabama only needed five innings to defeat the Bears by a score of 11-1.

Junior Sarah Cornell had another solid outing to get her fourth win of the season. The Westbury, New York native went four innings and only gave up one earned run on three hits. Cornell also tied her season high for strikeouts as she struck out five batters.

On offense, KB Sides continued to stay hot at the plate. Sides went 3-for-3 with two RBIs and two stolen bases. Alabama showed its speed on the base pads as the team stole seven stolen bases against Missouri State.

“I just felt hot today,” Cornell said. “I felt good about my warmup and I think I just took that into the game. I took a positive attitude into the game because waking up today and seeing it was raining, I was like ‘oh no. It’s supposed to be gameday.’”

The weather this week kept Alabama indoors and changed up its weekly preparations before the Easton Bama Bash. Despite the weather conditions, Alabama seemed prepared to play at home.

“We have been super anxious to play at home finally,” Sides said. “We didn’t get to go outside and practice on our field at all this week. We still pretty much had a packed house and it was raining and storming. The fans are incredible.”

In game two, Elissa Brown hit a walk-off single to score the only run of the game as Alabama beat the No. 24 Gophers, 1-0.

“[Elissa] needed that,” coach Patrick Murphy said. “She would probably tell you that she has not done what she has wanted to do so far, that’s going to happen it is the sport. But I think it was good for her confidence and her psyche to get that big hit and everyone was extremely happy for her.”

Pitching dominated game two as the two teams could only muster a combined six hits for the game. Freshman Montana Fouts pitched a complete game shutout and only allowed two hits and two walks. Fouts struck out eight batters, her fourth time this season where she struck out eight or more batters.

“You’re going to end up with a pitching duel every now and then and [Minnesota’s] kid threw a great game,” Murphy said. “It was every pitch mattered and it was the first time [Montana] had to do that, I think she is used to it because she played fastpitch for years but, it’s a tight game with a ranked opponent in the first home game so everything went into it. She did great though.”

Alabama will play Missouri State and Minnesota again on Saturday. The Crimson Tide and the Bears will start at 12:30 p.m. CT.