UA students elect new SGA on March 7

CW%2F+Keely+Brewer+

CW/ Keely Brewer

Kinsley Centers, Contributing Writer

EDITOR’S NOTE: The photo attached to this story has been updated to include both SGA presidential candidates.

The University of Alabama student body will have the opportunity to vote for its new Student Government Association (SGA) from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on March 7.

Who: University of Alabama students get to vote

What: Spring semester Student Government Association elections

When: Thursday March 7 from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.

Where: Students vote on their MyBama account

Why:

“The whole point of the Student Government Association is to serve the students, so I think that elections are super important because the student should have a say in who will be leading them, who will be implementing programs that will potentially benefit or harm them,” said Abbey Manasco, a junior majoring in exercise sport science and student chair of the elections board for the SGA. “So they should have the right to see all the different candidates’ platforms and decide on their own if that’s someone they want to be a leader for the whole university.”

Manasco encourages all students to use their voice and vote on Thursday. Manasco said student participation in voting has increased gradually over the years and believes it is due to advertising through social media, and she hopes participation will continue to grow.

Manasco said she believes students should keep their future in mind while voting.

“I think that every student should vote for candidates that will impact their future, because just like elections in the U.S. now, like if you don’t vote then it’s hard to have a say,” Manasco said. “You should express your right to vote, and that way you have say in who’s leading you.”