Community provides relief to victims of Hurricane Dorian

Photo courtesy of Rachel Reilly

Lauren Pullen, Contributing Writer

From Aug. 4 to Sept. 10, Hurricane Dorian transformed from a tropical storm into a Category 5 hurricane. Dorian swept through Florida, North and South Carolina and the Bahamas, with wind speeds reaching up to 183 mph. 

For some, the storm only caused minor damage. 

“Hurricane Dorian completely missed me,” said Madie Weir, a UA student from Naples, Florida. “ I live on the Gulf Coast, so it was sunny while it went through.”

In other parts of Florida, like Jacksonville, “there was nothing too damaging except for some strong winds and rain,” said Sara Heath, a UA student majoring in interior design. “The bridges were closed so I couldn’t leave until they had reopened them.”

But for people like Racheal Reilly, a Ph.D. student studying Spanish, the news hit hard.

“For me, I spent days waiting to hear if my family living on the islands of Abaco and Grand Bahama were even alive,” Reilly said. “It was emotional and nerve-wracking, and I felt so helpless watching updates online and having very little contact with those at home.”

Reilly was born and raised in the Bahamas, and almost all of her family lives there. 

“I decided to try and collect supplies to send to the Bahamas when I saw that the Bahamian Consulate in Atlanta was accepting donations,” she said. “I felt so helpless, and then when communication was finally restored, I found out that so many Bahamians including members of my family and close friends had lost everything, and there was obviously a huge need. I wanted to be able to do what I could to help, and the only tangible way was trying to collect supplies and donations.”

Along with Reilly, many others helped with raising money and giving donations through charities such as The Salvation Army, Americares, Mercy Corp. and the National Association of the Bahamas, as well as various campaigns through online payment services. 

According to Reilly, a lot of different people in and out of Alabama helped to pitch in. 

“People from all over Tuscaloosa donated supplies, and people from all over the state (and some from out of state) sent us money via Venmo and PayPal to buy supplies and supplement what was donated,” she said. “We were able to collect/buy every item that was on the list of things that were needed the most (a list published by the Bahamian Government and local non-profits).”

Jackson Fuentes, press secretary for the Student Government Association (SGA), said the SGA encouraged students to contribute to external foundations working to help those affected by the storm. 

Within the campus community, some places such as Rounders had events where proceeds went to help people in the Bahamas. Jessica Whidden, a UA student and employee at Rounders, said about 100 people showed up to a fundraising event that was thrown on Sept. 11. All door proceeds and hurricane drink proceeds went to help Dorian victims. 

“It was amazing to see the way people here came through for people they had never met and probably will never meet. It was a really humbling and encouraging experience,” Reilly said. 

Want to know if you can still help out? 

Though it has been a few weeks since Dorian touched ground, Reilly said the rebuilding process would be “monumental” and take millions of dollars to restore the place she called home. 

“If students want to contribute, there are a lot of reputable places to donate money,” Reilly said. I know that college students don’t always have a ton of money, but even $1 helps.” 

Justin Timberlake and Tiger Woods are pledging $6 million in matching funds for every dollar donated to the One Bahamas Fund. Also, if you want to donate to help the animals that have been displaced, there’s a Bahamian non-profit called Baark that is accepting donations as well.

Below is a list of the most-needed supplies published by the Bahamian government and local non-profits: 

• Adventure Learning Centre
  • Bahamas Association for Social Health
  • The Bahamas Humane Society
  • Bahamas National Trust
  • Bahamas Reef Environment Educational Foundation
  • Bahamas Urban Development Centeran Youth
  • British Legion-Bahamas Branch
  • Cancer Society Eleuthera
  • Coalition to Protect Clifton Bay
  • Freeport Rugby & Football Club
  • Friends of The Environment
  • Governor General’s Youth Award Program
  • Brand Bahama Children’s Home
  • Hands For Hunger
  • One Eleuthera Foundation
  • PACE Foundation
  • Pilot Club of Nassau
  • Ride for Hope Bahamas
  • The Rotary Club of East Nassau
  • Sir Charles Hayward Library
  • Sister Sister Breast Cancer Support Group
  • The Bahamas Children’s Emergency Hostel
  • The Bahamas Diabetic Association
  • The Bahamas Red Cross Society
  • The Bahamas Red Cross Society-Abaco
  • The Bahamas Red Cross Society-Grand Bahama
  • The Charitable Arts Foundation
  • The National LEAD Institute
  • The Nazareth Centre
  • The Salvation Army
  • The Salvation Army Freeport
  • YMCA Grand Bahama Trading as YMCA Grand Bahama