Board of Trustees review new projects for the University

On Thursday, the Physical Properties Commission of the University of Alabama System Board of Trustees reviewed several construction projects for the University, which the full Board of Trustees approved Friday.

The Board approved plans for a new Delta Delta Delta sorority house to be located on Magnolia Drive. The house will be located next to the Design House for the College of Human Environmental Sciences and is part of a new development that will also include houses for Alpha Gamma Delta, Delta Gamma and Alpha Delta Pi.

UA President Robert Witt said the University will not break ground on any of the houses until the Board has seen designs for all four. Designs for Delta Gamma and Alpha Gamma Delta were presented and approved at the Board’s last meeting.

The Delta Delta Delta house is estimated to cost $11.5 million. The University will pay for the house, and the sorority will pay the University back over the course of 30 years, said Tim Leopard, assistant vice president for facilities.

With the Board’s approval, the University can now begin searching for a contractor to build the house.

The Board also reviewed designs for a new Sigma Chi fraternity house, located next to Phi Delta Theta on University Boulevard. The house would cost $6.7 million. With the approval, the University has begun the search for a contractor to build the house.

The University also unveiled a plan to demolish the Environmental Health Sciences building on Hackberry Lane. The demolition will clear the way for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to build a home for the National Water Center. The National Water Center will allow UA researchers to work alongside NOAA officials. The University will lease the land to NOAA.

The University of Alabama System will move its office from Queen City Avenue to campus. The new building will be located at the intersection of University Boulevard and 5th Avenue East. The 33,000 square foot building was made possible by a $3.5 million gift by Sidney McDonald, former president pro tempore of the Board of Trustees.

McDonald served on the Board from 1992 to 2008, a time period that saw a rapid growth in the UA System, according to UA System Chancellor Malcolm Portera. In that time span, the system grew from a budget of $2.2 billion to $4.5 billion, and the system’s economic impact has grown to more than $8 billion, Portera said.

Portera said McDonald always maintained an overwhelming commitment to education.

“His support is always significant, it always comes with no strings attached, and it always comes early,” he said.

The Trustees also discussed preliminary plans for the North Campus Student Center, which will be located in the North Bluff residential complex. The center will include a gym and dining facilities.

The proposed project would cost nearly $19 million.

Trustee James Wilson III expressed concern that the new residential complex and student center would make the older buildings on campus seem obsolete.

“Make sure the old buildings are up to par,” he said.

The Trustees agreed to apply for acquisition of property on 10th Avenue owned by the United States Army. Although the structure – often referred to as the Armory – was damaged during the storm, the University still feels as though the property can be useful.

“It did receive some roof damage, but it’s not irreparable,” said Mike Lanier, project manager for UA construction projects. “They’re hopefully working with the Army to repair that so it doesn’t create damage while this is winding its way through the Pentagon.”