Political activist to speak at University

The College Republicans, Black Student Union and the University of Alabama NAACP have partnered together to host political activist K. Carl Smith to speak tomorrow night at 6 p.m. in Lloyd Hall Room 38.

College Republicans chairman Cliff Sims said this event is a must-see for all students.

“We are excited about the opportunity to collaborate with the Black Student Union and the UA NAACP in welcoming Mr. Smith to The University of Alabama campus,” Sims said in a press release. “We anticipate a great crowd, and look forward to an interesting discussion.”

Smith is a Frederick Douglass Republican and the founder of the Conservative Messenger, a grassroots initiative based out of Birmingham, Ala.

According to its website, the Conservative messenger “enlightens, educates, empowers and equips its members based on the Frederick Douglass Republican Movement.”

Smith has spoken at rallies nationwide promoting this movement and has been featured on Fox News. He recently published a book, entitled “Frederick Douglas Republicans: The Movement to Re-Ignite America’s Passion for Liberty.”

“K. Carl told me that he was born two things: black and a Democrat,” Sims said. “He grew up idolizing Frederick Douglass’ inspiring story as a freed slave who went on to be one of his generation’s greatest minds and to advise five American presidents.

“But it wasn’t until he started really digging in to Douglass’ writings that he realized everything he had been told about American politics and America’s founding in regards to race was simply not true.”

Daniel Mirolli, chief of staff of the College Republicans, is excited for the message he believes students will take away from Smith’s speech.

“K. Carl Smith has effectively used Fredrick Douglas’ ideals about the Constitution to champion the very document and Republican party,” Mirolli said. “I am personally excited for us to host him on a campus where the student body is collectively striving to look past race and focus on what we can do to better our University, state and nation.”

[IF YOU GO]

Who: Political activist K. Carl Smith

What: will give a speech

When: Sept. 27 at 6 p.m.

Where: Lloyd Hall Room 38