Tide travels to North Texas for second road test

Margo Smith

Head coach Wendell Hudson and the Alabama women’s basketball team have a 7-2 record and are undefeated at home. The team defeated previously unbeanten Kansas in its last game, and now they will travel to Denton, Texas to face the Mean Green of North Texas Wednesday, Dec. 7.

“Well, I think what it proved to us, when we play together, and we’ve talked about this over and over and over, we’re a pretty good basketball team,” Hudson said. “And so beating Kansas, which is a really good basketball team, should have proved to us that when we play together, we are a pretty good basketball team too. And get that maximum effort. I think that’s the big key. I think this is one of those games at the end of the season where we look back and say, ‘This was a game that kind of catapulted us on to another level,’ because if we continue to play with that kind of effort, good things can happen.”

Alabama defeated Kansas 80-76 in Foster Auditorium. The Tide out-rebounded Kansas 42-35 and out-scored the Jayhawks in the paint 48-38. UA also had a positive night at the free throw line, shooting 75 percent. Sophomore guard Jasmine Robinson led Alabama with a career-high 24 points. Robinson also had five rebounds.

“I thought Jasmine grew up. She’s been growing up this whole year. She’s not there yet, but she’s getting closer to being there. One of the things that she’s done, she’s under control when she’s going to the basket. And not letting the bumps and the little nagging stuff [get to her]. She’s now understanding, ‘Now I can go ahead and play without all of that.’”

After a big win over Kansas, the team says they must stay in the right frame of mind.

“Keeping that intensity level [is important],” junior guard Meghan Perkins said. “And, the aggression. Intensity level and aggression – as long as we have that, every time we step out on the floor, we’re gonna be fine.”

North Texas’ last games were in the Gene Hackerman Invitational in Houston. The Mean Green took first place with wins over Texas A&M and Oregon State. Alabama will be the first Southeastern Conference team that North Texas has faced since the 2002-2003 season.

This will be Alabama’s second non-tournament away game of the season. The first was against Central Arkansas in November. They lost, but went on to win two straight before heading to the Virgin Islands and winning the Paradise Jam tournament.

“When this team plays hard, when this team plays together, and I think I’ve said this before, I think we have a pretty good basketball team,” Hudson said.