Freshmen to fill outfield holes

Replacing the nation’s leading hitter in home runs is not an easy task—especially for a freshman. But after left fielder Andrew Miller’s first series playing for the Crimson Tide this past weekend against South Alabama, he seemed to be having no trouble filling the past senior’s shoes. During the ninth inning of the final game of the series, Miller had a base hit to right field and later scored on Ross Wilson’s ground out.

“I don’t know if we are going to see 29 home runs out of Andrew,” said head coach Mitch Gaspard. “I’m looking for him to deliver like he did Saturday with a big hit with the bases loaded. We expected Andrew to come in and play well. He was a really good high school player.”

After playing in all 134 games as a four-year starter for St. Paul’s High School, Miller is used to the pressure. Miller hit .455 with 149 runs scored and 118 stolen bases throughout his prep career, in addition to being named a 2008 Louisville Slugger High School All-American and three-time ASWA All-State selection.

“He’s a guy in the recruiting process we could tell was a tough kid, a guy we wanted, [who is] very talented,” said hitting coach and recruiting coordinator Dax Norris. “He’s done everything we’ve wanted him to do everyday. He’s hitting the ball better to the opposite field; he’s staying in his legs better. Mentally, he can handle it. He’s a guy who comes to work everyday.”

While Miller will take Kent Matthes’ spot in right field, another freshman in John David Smelser will take the other corner of the outfield, replacing last year’s freshman sensation Taylor Dugas, who is moving from left field to center this season. Dugas is the only returning starter in the outfield, leaving the new freshman outfielders with opportunities to step in as leaders almost immediately.

“I wasn’t nervous out in the field, but when I got in the batter’s box, that’s when the nerves started to get me, but after the first game you just play and it cools you down,” Miller said. “You shouldn’t be nervous if you want to play this game.”

Miller’s teammates aren’t the least bit worried about a freshman replacing last year’s star, Matthes — who was taken in the fourth round of the 2009 Major League Baseball draft — particularly after seeing Miller’s performance at the plate Sunday night.

“[Miller] came in as a freshman and has done really well,” said sophomore pitcher Adam Morgan. “He stepped up in a big situation and that kind of gave him confidence. He’s a team guy. He’s all about the team sacrifice. He’ll hit behind the hitter, he’ll move the runner over, anything you need him to do. He’s all for the team.”

The Alabama native is expected to be one of the top performers in the outfield, as well as at bat this season.

“He has what we like,” Gaspard said. “He has that toughness. He has a lot of confidence about him and he can be a physical player and he plays really hard. He is a good defender and he brings something to the table offensively. We feel like he is one of our better options in the outfield right now.”