Fashion Week exposes trends for the spring

As Fashion Weeks draw to a close around the globe, it’s time for fashionistas everywhere to take stock of the new looks gracing the runway and how these trends can be translated into everyday ensembles. So, start packing away those heavy winter items because I’m here to tell you the most popular trends that are going to start blooming this spring.

First, and perhaps most traditional in nature, is floral. Now, I’m not talking about your grandmother’s floral – there are more interesting and exciting ways to wear this print. The floral you choose can be pastel-toned if you want to opt for a softer look; pastel florals were all the rage at Louis Vuitton. You can achieve this easily with a flowing top, printed shorts or flirty dress in a color and pattern of your liking.

If you hate the idea of swathing yourself in Easter egg colors like I do, choose a floral that’s more edgy. Take a darker print or layer your prints to create a unique look. If you’re feeling especially daring, take a page from Anna Sui’s show and go head-to-toe floral. Be cautious and selective with this venture, though. You don’t want to end up looking like a flower shop.

Floral not your thing? No problem. Another trend popular this season is graphic, Bauhaus-inspired looks. Once again, you can achieve an artistic edge with a simple graphic tee or with a geometric, color block dress. You can go black and white, but I feel like it’s more fun to go crazy with bright colors, like Proenza Schouler did in their show. Guys can also have fun with this look, as graphic tops seem to be everywhere.

To maximize the effect of this style, make sure the designs you choose have sharp, straight lines and are bursting with color. However, like the floral trend, you should use discretion when going bold. You want to be eye-catching, not an eyesore.

A final popular trend on this year’s spring runways is a bit dividing: You’re probably going to either love it or think I’m crazy. What is this polarizing trend, you ask? Animal prints. Not as in leopard print, but prints of actual animals. From birds to cats to aquatic life, the runways were bursting with zoological patterns. It’ll probably prove tricky for the average person to get away with wearing a bird-printed dress, like the ones at Giles. So, if you want to follow this trend in a more subtle way, find cute animal accessories. An oversized ring or bold necklace would work wonderfully and can supplement your wardrobe for any season.

By this point in the column I feel like I should take into account that I’m writing for college students. It’s doubtful many people could afford the runway pieces, but that’s not a problem. Many stores, like Urban Outfitters, American Apparel and Anthropologie offer variations on these styles at fractions of the cost of couture options. Personally, I love Forever 21 because they have nearly every trend you could possibly want at inexpensive prices. Places like Target can even have fun, quirky pieces if you take the time to look.

Remember: Fashion is about experimenting. You may not love every trend you try, but you’ll never know until you get out there!